FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Northern Spirits Ltd. is one of the leading players in the Indian Alcoholic Beverages Industry. With an integrated production process in place, the Company is present across the value chain of the alcohol industry – Bulk Alcohol, Value Spirit Segment, Prestige Spirit Segment, Bottling for international players and alcohol By-products.
Unity Traders was formed in 1975 by our father, Mr. Kulbir Bakshi from Amritsar in Punjab and spreading to Mumbai in West India.
Built on instinct and an entrepreneurial mindset, Anuj Bakshi and Ankush Bakshi started East India Operations in the year 1999 under the name of United Wines with Kolkata as the base to cater to one of the most difficult market in India – Bengal.
Headquartered at New Delhi with Distilleries in Rajasthan, Haryana, West Bengal and Bihar.
5A, WOODBURN PARK ROAD, WOODBURN CENTRAL UNIT 603, 6TH FLOOR KOLKATA -700020 WEST BENGAL (INDIA)
The Company is a leading manufacturer of alcohol and alcobev products. The key business segments are as follows:
Manufacturing Business: Bulk Alcohol, IMFL Bottling, By-Products
Consumer Business: Value Spirits and Premium Spirits
Manufacturing: Rajasthan, Haryana, West Bengal and Bihar
Consumer - Value Segment: Rajasthan, Haryana and West Bengal
Consumer - Prestige Segment: Currently being sold in Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra, Orissa, Goa, Pondicherry, Karnataka, Telangana, West Bengal, Assam and Madhya Pradesh.
The existing product portfolio under this segment consists of in-house brands like Nimboo, Ghoomar, Heer Ranjha, Narangi, etc.
The existing product portfolio under this segment consists of in-house brands like Governor's Reserve (Semi-premium Whisky), Oakton (Premium Whisky) and L'Affaire Napoleon (Premium Brandy).
The Company mainly uses broken rice as the raw material for making Alcohol.
The broken rice is converted into rice flour which is then fermented and distilled at a different degree to form grain neutral alcohol or Ethanol:
- Ethanol is sold to OMCs for blending purposes
- Grain neutral alcohol is used for making alcoholic beverages:
- Value Spirits – By adding flavours of Fruits and Spices
- Prestige Spirits – By distilling the ENA further
The Government of India notified the National Policy on Biofuels, 2018, wherein, an indicative target of 20% blending of Ethanol in petrol and 5% blending of biodiesel in diesel by 2030 was laid-out. However, in June 2021, the target for achieving 20% ethanol blending in petrol was advanced by 5 years to 2025 by CCEA. The committee also laid out the following initiatives:
- Interest subvention scheme for molasses and grain-based distilleries (DFPD)
- Setting of standards for E5 (Ethanol 5%, Petrol 95%), E10 and E20 blends of Ethanol blended petrol (Bureau of India Standards, BIS)
- MoRT&H has notified GSR 156(E) on 8th March 2021 for adoption of E20 fuel as automotive fuel and issued mass emission standards for it. It lays down safety requirements for type approval of pure ethanol, flex-fuel & ethanol-gasoline blended vehicles in India
- BS-VI Emission norms in effect since 1st April 2020 are applicable for E-20 Vehicles